The Trick To Getting Rid Of Mice In Your Eugene Home
November 15, 2021 - Rodents
If you are looking for a city that is alive with energy, then Eugene, Oregon, is your next stop. This city is in Lane County at the end of the Willamette Valley. The people in this area are said to be full of “dedication and grit.” This quality is vital since dedication and grit are exactly what Eugene residents will need to try and keep house mice away from your house.
Here’s A Quick Way To Recognize House Mice In Your Eugene Home
House mouse control is difficult since they are the most common mouse to inhabit Eugene homes. As people have moved further into house mice habitats, they have adapted to our presence and learned how to “mooch” off us. House mouse problems come because we offer them easy access to shelter, food, and moisture they need to survive. If homeowners want to keep house mice away, they must first be able to identify them.
Some house mouse characteristics to look out for include:
- Their small size, measuring 5 ½ to 7 ½ inches long from head to tail.
- Their coloration, which is usually light gray with a cream-colored underbelly.
- Their weight, that fluctuates between ½ ounce to 1 ounce.
- Their other identifying assets are a pointy nose, small black eyes, and relatively large ears.
Who Else Wants To Know What Dangers and Damages House Mice Cause?
The fear of house mice is real and justified. House mice are carriers of multiple diseases, including tularemia, leptospirosis, salmonellosis, and lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCM). Another thing that makes people fearful of house mice is that they carry other parasites on their bodies that can bring their diseases to your home and loved ones. House mice problems only worsen when you add that because they are prolific breeders, infestations can get out of control quickly, allowing more and more of your home to be damaged and sometimes even destroyed.
Some damages that house mice cause are as follows:
- Gnawing on woodwork, electrical wires, storage boxes, drywall, etc.
- Contamination of food products/stored items.
- Musky odors throughout the house in infested areas.
- Oily rub marks on walls.
- Contamination (ruination) of stored items from feces and urine.
Secrets To House Mice Prevention In The Eugene Area
House mouse control starts with prevention. Keeping house mice away from your home begins with eliminating sheltering areas in your yard.
Four tips for keeping mice away from your yard include the following:
- Remove yard debris.
- Clean up leaf litter.
- Correct any drainage issues – keep water away from the foundation of your home.
- Firewood needs to be stacked at least 20 feet away from your home.
When house mice start looking for an entrance to your home, they look for any crack or crevice they can squeeze through. Mice squeeze through holes the size of a dime and gaps the width of a pencil. Fixing outside cracks, gaps, and crevices is a vital house mouse deterrent.
Not just any material can keep house mice away from your home. Homeowners must use proper materials to repair and seal weak areas in their home’s defense system.
Some materials to consider when sealing potential weak areas include the following:
- Metal sheets for large holes.
- Steel wool for openings.
- Silicone-based caulking for cracks and crevices.
- Flashing around foundations.
The Best Way To Remove House Mice From Your Eugene Home
The best and most effective house mouse deterrent is Ultimate Pest Control. Our company has over 30 years of experience in the pest removal industry. Our policy is to make sure that every service is good service. Call Ultimate Pest Control today to schedule a free inspection, so you can find out what treatment plan best suits your needs.